The Texas Board of Nursing (BON) provides a variety of information to customers including verbal, written, and electronic information. The BON's website contains information including the Nursing Practice Act, BON Rules and Guidelines, BON Position Statements, the agency's physical location, disciplinary, and licensure information. Publications of the BON are available upon request for a minimal fee. Time lines for requests for information are as follows:
- General Telephone Inquiries: Phone calls to Customer Service representatives are answered in the order they are received in our phone queue. We value our constituents and understand that time is valuable. We make every effort to answer the calls as quickly as possible during office hours, while also allowing each caller’s question/concern to be addressed fully (a challenging endeavor as the agency receives approximately 250,000 calls a year). Our website is extremely user-friendly and provides a wealth of information. We highly recommend utilizing this resource, as you will most likely find the guidance you are seeking. We thank you in advance for your patience while waiting for a Customer Service representative to address your question/concern that you were not able to locate on the website. Be advised, telephone inquiries to other departments within the BON are normally returned in 5-10 business days. Note: During peak times, the wait/response time may be longer than normal.
- Webmaster Inquiries:
firstname.lastname@example.org are received and disseminated to the appropriate departments as quickly as possible. Every effort is made to respond to webmaster inquiries within 10 business days.
- Nurses are informed of standards, laws, rule changes, and changes in BON policy through a quarterly newsletter and the presentation of Workshops and Webinars throughout the year conducted by BON Nurse Consultants. Information on our Workshops and Webinars may be found on our Continuing Nursing Education & Competency page.
- The BON's website also contains consumer links to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing where consumer oriented information is available, including contact information for other state boards of nursing, information on chemical dependency in the nursing profession, and information on expected professional boundaries that nurses should maintain in their relationships with patients.
- Open Records Requests-Learn More Here.
- Licensure verification requests are answered within fifteen (15) working days.
- Publications and orders of labels or lists are mailed within fifteen (15) working days of the request.
- The BON's newsletter is mailed to nurses and other subscribers quarterly.
Policy on Use of Technological Solutions to Improve Board Functions: HB 2426 of the 80th Texas Legislative Session required the Board to implement a policy on the “Use of Technology.” The Board's intent is to deploy technological-based solutions when possible and offer this written policy for consideration. You can read more about the Board's policy on technology here. Current and emerging information technologies have the potential not only to improve administrative efficiencies through greater use of appropriate technological solutions, but perhaps more importantly, to increase the level of governmental services provided to constituents.